FAMILY EDUCATIONAL SERVICES FOUNDATION (FESF) was established by like-minded educators working in Pakistan for close to three decades. A foundational goal of FESF is to provide high-quality educational services and build capacity in some of the most neglected sectors of Pakistan’s society.
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for all members of the community, especially those who are disadvantaged. We invest in educational development and provide innovative training programs and services, empowering the recipients to gain competency and realize their full potential.
To fulfill these objectives, FESF currently administers the Deaf Reach and EduServe Programs:
DEAF REACH PROGRAM
In Pakistan there are over 1.25 million deaf children of school age, yet less than 5% attend school. Family Educational Services Foundation (FESF) is seeking to bridge this gap via its Deaf Reach Program.
Six Deaf Reach Schools and Training Centers provide free education for deaf students and are located in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Tando Allahyar, Nawabshah, and Lahore. Facilities cover all academic and vocational costs, inclusive of free pick and drop transport in a 40 km. radius, healthy lunch/snacks, books and stationery, uniforms and excursions.
Deaf Reach is the only school system for the Deaf in Pakistan with a branch network, and employs over 200 full-time salaried teachers and staff. Deaf Reach focuses on a holistic, community-centered approach, and focuses on female enrollment.
- Academic Training: A nurturing environment from KG to College-level education. Deaf students can develop their full potential and increase opportunities for self-sufficiency.
- Vocational Skills Training offers preparation for the workplace by providing vocational skills courses in fields such as Information Technology, Teacher Training, Culinary Arts, Stitching & Embroidery, and Language Skills.
- The Parent Training Program provides services and training to assist parents in communicating with and better caring for their deaf children.
- The Teacher Training Program educates candidates in the field of Deaf Education, with graduates going on to become qualified teachers of the Deaf. 50% of Deaf Reach teaching staff are deaf themselves, many of whom are former Deaf Reach students.
- The Job Placement Program provides employment opportunities for its graduates. Over the last few years, more than 600 young deaf men and women have been provided employment.
- Pakistan Sign Language (PSL) Development: Deaf Reach documents Pakistan Sign Language via a digital lexicon, stories, curricula, and tutorials that are available free of cost nationwide. See http://www.psl.org.pk
EduServe training programs are crafted to provide quality educational experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth. EduServe builds capacity in youth, corporate employees, parents and teachers.
Current programs conducted under EduServe are:
The Motivated Volunteer Empowerment Program (MOVE) is an innovative leadership training program which empowers youth to take action and respond to needs in their communities. The program combines interactive and lively training sessions with supervised hands-on project work to give participants a full leadership and implementation experience. Social uplift, civic action, and advocacy projects have been conducted such as renovation of public spaces, environment projects, mentoring of students, social awareness, skills training, therapy in hospitals, as well as summer, music, and art camps.
The Junior MOVE Program (JUMP) aims to effect social change by training and engaging Pakistani youth in meaningful community development. The program consists of power-packed workshops that direct and motivate volunteers to identify the needs in their communities and to plan and implement innovative solutions through social action projects.
THRIVE Courses is a series of short courses that will help professionals and youth discover their inner potential and build their unique strengths. Each course develops both skills and knowledge that will help participants grow personally and professionally. By engaging in these courses we hope participants will develop skills, become more empowered and achieve greater fulfillment in their personal life and in professional arenas.